Friday 4 October 2019

John Collins - Speaker Profile

John Collins
Talk Title: The tools at DNAGedcom and Genetic.Family

Achievements & Affiliations
  • Bachelor of Science from UMBC
  • Founder of Genetic.Family
  • Admin of Genetic.Family User Group and DNAGedcom User Group on Facebook
  • SCGS Member

What do you do as a Day Job?

I am a software developer for manufacturing software used by Department of Defence contractors. We create tools to help facilitate building and tracking parts for nuclear submarines as well as missile systems.

What do you do as a Night Job?

I am the CTO of DNAGedcom. I act as lead developer for Genetic.Family, and work to direct us as we move forward innovating technology for the genealogy community.

How did you get into genealogy?

Rob Warthen dragged me in kicking and screaming. I worked with him at a previous job, and he wanted some help with DNAGedcom. After helping build out some tools, I attended my first genealogy conference in November of 2018. The great community and the amount of help we can give to people searching for their family just feels important to me.

Tell us about your involvement with genetic genealogy

To be quite honest, I am still learning. I am figuring out the technical side, but I spend my time learning from questions others ask in various forums, and the answers they get. I am a data analyst at heart, so I am here to give my expertise to help people organize and catalogue the massive amount of tiny clues they get into more meaningful data that they can actually use. I have not really done any of my own genealogy – I am purely driven by the community.

What will you be talking about?

DNAGedcom has been around since 2011, but there have been a lot of changes recently there. Join us for a review of the changes over the last year, including new announcements first seen at Genetic Genealogy Ireland. In addition, learn how Genetic.Family will help you work within and across all your DNA Companies.

Where can people get more information about you and the work you do?






No comments:

Post a Comment